Tuesday 12 February 2008

Thrifting Treasures and Going Girly

I have been having a good week thrifting this week and have noticed a decidedly girly influence coming through. I found some really nice fabrics and noticed when I got them home how pink they all were - not my normal preference at all. So I am planning a cot quilt as my first ever quilt for my baby girl-to-be. (All fabrics below are thrifted except the yellow one - not bad eh?)

I have also decided that when she is born our current office come guest room will be turned into her room come guest room - even though she will be sleeping with us for at least 6 months - as I really want to create a space that is for her. This means I will have to put all the computer stuff into storage at least until I have to start working again. I work from home so I have a company PC (giant thing and very ugly) and a lot of client files currently taking up a whole wardrobe. If I am very lucky I might be able to get a laptop sometime as we really have no room anywhere else in the house for a whole computer desk and printer and hard drive and office files. And I do plan to keep blogging, reading blogs and putting photos on flickr in the meantime.

I have started collecting a few thrifted bits here and there and got out my gorgeous old Sasha doll from the sixties. I had two dolls when I was a child - one ragdoll a friend made for me and my Sasha doll that was a hand-me-down from my Swiss cousins. She is beautiful with dark brown honey skin and white blonde hair and a wonderful handmade-by-my-aunty retro wardrobe. I also have some nice girly vintagey pictures. The girl in the heart is actually a printout from Emily Martin at the Black Apple - go take a look at her wonderful creations. I love her gothic and vintage style - she is a very clever lady.

I have also collected some old favourite books such asBeatrix Potter and Enid Blyton - the ones I remember well from childhood. I am going for a vintage feel depending on my luck thrifting and my skill crafting.
I also scored a book on crochet and one on patchwork which will be gifts to my friend who likes crafting and whose birthday is coming up soon in March. I am very lucky to have a friend in my village who likes crafting, thrifting, cooking, camping, gardening and just hanging out with the kids. We like exactly the same things which is almost spooky and she bought the house in the village that Chris and I had had our hearts set on. (|Yes I have forgiven her because I wouldn't have her friendship if she hadn't moved here!) She even drives a vintage seventies camper van - my dream car!

No comments: