Tuesday 22 January 2008

It's going to be a ...............................

.........................................................................girl!

So the 20 week ultrasound went well last week and all is looking OK. Chris and I were terrified beforehand after our last experience in the ultrasound department but after 45 minutes (we had a trainee) and then a further 5 minute wait while they inputted the measurements - they came back to say all was well. Pheweeee. We sighed a huge sigh of relief and then started grinning from ear to ear. I am still nervous that something will go wrong. I know too many sad stories not too but at least thus far things are looking good.

And we found out we are having a girl. I am very pleased because it's nice to have one of each but in a weird way I was also kind of sad to say goodbye to the little boy I had in my head (which is why I had to find out - I was worried about getting too attached to the idea it was one or the other and then being wrong). I know I won't be having any more so I had to let go the idea of having another boy. And because I am used to having a boy it seems weird having a girl. But I am very happy indeed.

And even more happy for my mum who after 3 grandsons was very keen for a girl especially as this will be her last grandchild. We decided to tell her by buying a dress and hiding it in a bag for her to pull out. Except I bought a blue dress so it took a while for it to sink in it was a dress and therefore a girl! I have a real aversion to pink and sparkly things - I have always been a tomboy - so I am trying to spread the word for when the time comes. I don't normally buy anything for the baby this early on but I thought it would be a fun way to announce the news to my family!

On other baby news my next door neighbour had her little boy 6 weeks early last week. She has placenta previa so it was on the cards but the little thing was tiny - under 4lbs so he has been in an incubator for the past 10 days. The good news is he got out yesterday and is now feeding every 3 hours and putting on the weight at long last. My poor friend is stuck in hospital though and has missed her son's 4th birthday and is desperate to get home and start being a family. Hopefully it will be very soon. I can't wait to spend the summer sitting outside chatting with the boys playing footie and the babies chilling out under the tree.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Believe me Ruth, little girls are just gorgeous too - I should know I've got two of them

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Oh my this is so lovely....I am so pleased for you...a perfect little family.