Tuesday 25 September 2007

Ah Southwold

Southwold, Suffolk is one of my favourite places for a short break by the sea at any time of the year. Chris and I came here in with Alex when he was 12 weeks old on his first ever holiday. It holds lots of special memories of that time (he started sleeping through the night that week!) We have also come here for our anniversary which is in December and enjoyed the pre Christmas atmosphere with twinkly lights, log fires in the pub, and of course fish and chips on the pier watching the waves lash the sides. The only trouble with Southwold is it is too popular! Having won Britain's favourite sea side town this year and having been popular with the Guardian/Boden set for a while ( I read the Guardian and would love to be able to afford Boden - so I guess I mean us!) it gets over run at weekends throughout the summer. We tend to go out of season and even then it can get so busy you can't find a parking space.I do love it so. It has quaint victorian cottages, a lighthouse, Adnams Brewery, cosy pubs, tea rooms, lots of open green space, a revitalised pier, a thriving art scene (Serena Hall is a favourite), cute shops and a lovely beach. You can cross the river to Walberswick in a small rowing boat (the local ferry) and go crabbing with buckets. There are rows of brightly coloured beach huts (which I lust after) and you can walk for miles along the beach. So I will be on a blogging break next week as it's my birthday (38 argh!) and we are off to Southwold again for a week's fun at the seaside. Back soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A place I've never been - growing up in Yorkshire and then migrating to the West Country, East Anglia is just that step too far although we did have a wonderful house swap holiday in Norfolk when the youngest was a little dot - will put it on my 'to visit' list :o) Enjoy your break