Tuesday 11 September 2007

Budgeting and Space Saving Tips - Part One


I live in a teeny tiny house and on a teeny tiny budget so I have got a few tips for those in similar circumstance that I would like to share.

Sand and Water Table- instead of buying large, expensive sandpits I got two cheap washing up bowls and filled one with playsand and one with water. Along with a plastic cup, small plastic milk carton, some spoons and a sieve I made a sand and water area for Alex on our very small patio. I placed them on the step so he could reach it standing up. If you don't have steps then a bit of wood on some old bricks would do just as well. It can all be taken apart and stacked over winter in a cupboard or shed and takes up no room at all. Grand total - £1.00 for two bowls and £2.00 for the sand.

Paddling Pool - when Alex was coming up to a year old we had a really hot summer. I couldn't find a cheap paddling pool anywhere as they all sold out so I improvised. I got his old baby bath out of the loft, filled it with warm water and some bath toys and hey presto - a teeny tiny pool. Actually it was just right for his age as he could sit up and be supported in it but it wasnt so big he could topple over in it. This probably only works for young kids before they can really walk well.

Play kitchen - I don't have enough room for a play kitchen in our main living area and even less room in our kitchen. Alex is just at the age now where he enjoys imaginative play and he loves doing cooking. I got some of our smaller pans, some wooden spoons, plastic picnic plates and cutlery, an old mini-cereal box, an old milk carton (plastic) and some jam jars full of dried pasta. All this I put on top of a tray on his toy box which serves as the work station/counter top for his cooking. I am planning to make him his own apron this weekend and also I think I might try and sew a few circles onto plain cloth to look like hotplates etc. to drape over the toy box. The other way of making a toy kitchen work top/cooker is to get a cheap wooden box or crate, turn it over and either paint on all the hotplates, knobs etc onto the flat bottom or if you are handy add a few cheap knobs for real twiddling. You could even add a back plate made of wood and add some hooks for cups or tea towels etc. Much nicer than those giant plastic things you see.

1 comment:

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Just reading this and had to comment. What a great Mom you are, I think these ideas are super. I think even if you have room this kind of play is so much better in so many ways. Great to improve imagination, saves the enviroment, less waste and so much prettier than strong coloured plastic.
Suzie Sews